You are here

501.6 Student Transfers In

Code No. 501.6


Students who transfer into the school district must meet the immunization and age requirements set out for students who initially enroll in the school district.

The school district will request the student's cumulative records from the previous school district. If the student cannot offer proof of grade level, the superintendent or designee will make the grade level determination. The superintendent or designee may require testing or other information to determine the grade level. Students expelled or suspended from their previous school district will only be enrolled after approval of the board.

The superintendent or designee will determine the amount of credits to be transferred. If the student has not previously attended an accredited school, it is within the superintendent's or designee’s discretion to accept or reject credits or grades.

The board may deny admission if the student is not willing to provide the board with the necessary information.

NOTE: School districts do not need parental permission to request student records from previous school districts. The school district sending the records must notify the parents that the student's records have been sent.

Legal Reference:     
20 U.S.C. § 1232g (2012).
Iowa Code §§ 139A.8; 282.1, .3, .4; 299A (2013).

Cross Reference:     
501 Student Attendance
505.3 Student Honors and Awards
507 Student Health and Well-Being
604.1 Competent Private Instruction

Approved: 10/14/09

Reviewed: 2/6/22

Revised: 1/6/10

Grinnell-Newburg School District, Grinnell, IA